Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 22:47:35 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Porting to RISC-V

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 02:40:45PM +1200, Michael Clark wrote:

> [...]
> >>        • /lib/ld-musl-riscv32.so.1 (-mabi=ilp32d, default, hard float)
> >>        • /lib/ld-musl-riscv64.so.1 (-mabi=lp64d, default, hard float)
> >>        • /lib/ld-musl-riscv32-sf.so.1 (-mabi=ilp32, soft float)
> >>        • /lib/ld-musl-riscv64-sf.so.1 (-mabi=lp64, soft float)
> >>        • /lib/ld-musl-riscv32-sp.so.1 (-mabi=ilp32f, single precision)
> >>        • /lib/ld-musl-riscv64-sp.so.1 (-mabi=lp64f, single precision)
> >>    • fixed failing pthread tests.
> >>        • a_cas was deadlocking (updated a_cas in atomic_a.h, fixed missing inline asm constraint)
> >>        • defined the minimal set of atomics required by the musl library
> >>    • fixed failing sigaltstack tests (update sigaltstack and ucontext in signal.h)
> >>    • fixed failing ipc_sem tests (added struct semid_ds in sem.h)
> >>    • fixed failing stat tests (defined blksize_t and nlink_t in alltypes.h.in)
> >>    • rename sigcontext __regs to gregs so that gcc would compile
> >>    • rename _gp to __global_pointer$ in the crt to work with current binutils
> >>    • change definition of long double to quadruple precision
> >>    • update syscalls.h.in to use asm-generic syscall definitions
> >>    • update stat.h to use asm-generic stat definition
> >>
> >> Remaining issues:
> >>
> >>    • rebase to current musl-libc
> >>    • audit arch/riscv32 and arch/riscv64 headers to make sure they match linux-4.16
> >>    • check results of tests that are expected to fail (compare with other architectures)
> >>    • ELF thread local variables are not being initialised
> >>        • tls_init test is failing
> >>
> >> Note: riscv32 glibc is not yet upstream so the 32-bit ABI is not yet frozen.
> >>
> >> Rich, BTW It seems the TLS offset is directly above the thread pointer (tp).
> >>
> >>    $ cat foo.c
> >>    __thread int i = 42;
> >>
> >>    void foo()
> >>    {
> >>        i++;
> >>    }
> >>
> >>    0000000000010226 <foo>:
> >>       10226:    00022703              lw    a4,0(tp) # 0 <i>
> >>       1022a:    2705                    addiw    a4,a4,1
> >>       1022c:    00e22023              sw    a4,0(tp) # 0 <i>
> >>       10230:    8082                    ret
> >>
> >>    0000000000010a7a <__set_thread_area>:
> >>       10a7a:    822a                    mv    tp,a0
> >>       10a7c:    4501                    li    a0,0
> >>       10a7e:    8082                    ret
> >>
> >> Michael.
> >
> > Ping.
> >
> > I was hoping to get this merged in 1.1.20, which didn't happen despite
> > it getting delayed for a long time. Is there a chance of it happening
> > soon for 1.1.21?
>
> Yes. I can bump the priority for this.
>
> There hopefully should not be that much more to do on the port to
> get it in shape for upstream. Sorry there have been a lot of things
> going on so this has fallen through the cracks.
>
> There is still the ELF TLS bug, which shouldn’t be hard to fix, but
> we could always mark the port experimental. If it’s in tree; then
> more folk may be interested in fixing bugs. The code also needs some

I don't want to merge something with known bugs like this, but I'm
happy to participate in fixing it if I know what the issue is and have
a candidate submission that supposedly works modulo the bug to be
fixed. My understanding is that gcc and qemu stuff is upstream now so
it should be simple to me to build and test. Is this correct?

> We moved the port to riscv-musl in the RISC-V GitHub organisation
> [1]. We need to rebase and squash the tree and write a commit
> message containing the contributors list.
>
> The RISC-V rv32 port isn’t in glibc yet and it may be subject to
> change. I need to get a riscv32 Linux kernel running in QEMU so we
> can do testing against glibc... I’ll have to chat to Palmer about
> riscv32, see if there are any ABI issues we need to be aware of. We
> can spend some time this week...

Great!