Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 11:39:25 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cortex-M support / single float

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 12:30:45PM +0100, Jon Chesterfield wrote:
> > note that a large part of the float code in libc is in the
> > math library which expects efficient double arithmetics,
> > i plan to rewrite the most important single precision math
> > functions using double arithmetics, this gives significant
> > benefits on all systems except ones with single precision
> > only hw.
>
> I'm responsible for libm on an architecture with 32bit float in hardware
> and 64bit float via integer ops. It's derived from musl because I like musl.
>
> Currently operations written in terms of double are rather slow. Would
> upstream accept functions optimised for a 32bit float+int system? I haven't
> written them yet but it's on the todo list.

If implementations with float+int can be reasonably trusted to give
comparable precision (and of course exact results for the functions
specified to be exact), I don't see a reason not to accept them. How
are exception flags handed on such archs? Are the double operations
expected to set the flags in the single-precision fpu correctly? Or
does it just have to be treated as a no-fenv arch?