Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 10:55:45 -0500
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: string-backed FILEs mess

On 09/12/18 10:09, Markus Wichmann wrote:
> I don't know how important the glibc-compat still is for people. I don't
> need it, but then, I have glibc available if necessary. And with Steam
> moving to Linux, closed-source software is certainly going to be on the
> rise for Linux/PC (i.e. Linux/i386 and Linux/amd64). Which is going to
> be a problem for musl-based distributions, if they want to support that.

Genuinely, I used it every day I had an x86_64 box.  Spotify was the
main reason (the Qt 4 app; NOT the CEF/chrome-based piece of ****).  Of
course, now that I trashed my last x86 and am surrounded by better cores
(almost exclusively PowerPC, with some ARM and MIPS for good measure),
glibc ABI compat is almost worthless.

However, that's what https://code.foxkit.us/adelie/gcompat/ is for
anyway.  Since it uses LD_PRELOAD, we could probably overwrite the
entirety of stdio with something compatible with glibc if necessary.

I hope it doesn't come to that, as that'd be a lot more cruft to
maintain; but if it improves musl significantly, that may be the price
to pay.

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)