Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 13:58:28 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to use MUSL without installing it?

* John Found <johnfound@...32.info> [2018-09-04 14:34:39 +0300]:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 11:40:20 +0200
> Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net> wrote:
> > i think you can pass 'CROSS_COMPILE=' to configure
> > and then you don't need such symlinks.
> >
> What value should I set CROSS_COMPILE to? i386?

leave it empty (by default it is '386-')
./configure --host=i386 CROSS_COMPILE=

> Well, I will keep it the right way then. BTW, "make install"
> tries to create symlink for ld-musl-i386.so in /usr/lib/ directory
> How to prevent this attempt?

if you don't use dynamic linking then --disable-shared

if you want to build dynamic linked executables that work
locally with your musl install, but not portable to other
musl systems then --syslibdir='$(prefix)/lib'
(then the binaries will use that path for the dynamic linker)

if you want to build dynamic linked executables that are
portable, but don't run locally, then ignore that failure
(it is not fatal, binaries will have standard dynamic linker
path, but your system will not have it set up)

if you want to build dynamic linked executables that are
portable and work locally, then you must have the dynamic
linker in /lib so you have to put the symlink there.