Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 11:40:20 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to use MUSL without installing it?

* John Found <johnfound@...32.info> [2018-09-03 23:24:41 +0300]:
> I am writing a script that to compile musl, then a program with musl, using the latest versions.
>
> I am doing it following way:
>
> mkdir muslsrc
> tar --wildcards --strip-components 1 -C ./muslsrc/ -xzf ./musl*.tar.gz
> cd muslsrc
> ln -s /usr/bin/ar ./i386-ar
> ln -s /usr/bin/ranlib ./i386-ranlib
> ./configure --prefix=../musl --host=i386 CC="gcc -m32 -O3"

i think you need . in PATH for this to work

i think you can pass 'CROSS_COMPILE=' to configure
and then you don't need such symlinks.

> make
> make install
> cd ..
>
> Then I am compiling agains ./musl/ directory.
>
> But after "make" I have all needed files in ./muslsrc/ directory.
> Is it possible to use them directly instead of making fake "installation"?

no, the right way is to run make install
(DESTDIR and --prefix works the usual way)

there are only a small number of files that are copied
this way, if you directly use the build directory then
the target specific header files are not set up correctly,
i think you can hack that around with a bits symlink and
appropriate modifications to musl-gcc and the specs file,
but such hacks are not guaranteed to work in the future.