Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 06:12:31 +0200
From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan@....net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl dns search domain stop when current search got some
 error

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 08:54:13AM +0800, 王志强 wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I have a alpine container running with following resolv conf:
> # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 10.254.0.100
> search default.svc.enn.cn svc.enn.cn default.pod.enn.cn pod.enn.cn enn.cn lan.davidkarlsen.com
> options ndots:5
>
> When I try to resolve some domain in the alpine container, say baidu.com, it would fail if some search search domain return code 0 without answers.

Let me stop you there. I think we already had this discussion once, but
here goes: code 0 means "Name exists". No answers mean "No record of
this type exists". Therefore, if one of your local resolvers does that,
it means to tell you that the name exists, just no records of type A or
AAAA or CNAME. If the name actually does not exist, then this is a bug
in the DNS server and should be fixed there.  And in the meantime you
can drop the offending server from your search list.

> Thanks
> David

Ciao,
Markus