Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 18:27:24 -0300
From: "dgutson ." <danielgutson@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: catan errors

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 5:50 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 05:41:46PM -0300, dgutson . wrote:

> with..

> > > numbers,
> > >
> > > Can you clarify where you think something goes wrong?
> > >

> > -     if (a == 0.0)
> > -             goto ovrf;
> >
> >       t = y + 1.0;
> >       a = (x2 + t * t)/a;
> >

> > The check you removed does not look correct for me because what I
> mentioned..
> > However, shouldn't you check, before the division, that a is not the
> > nearest to zero (+ or -) denormalized representable double,
> > in order to avoid ending in inf?
>
> Here a=x²+(y-1)², so unless both x==0 and y==1, the smallest a can be

I was worried by the case when x is 0 and y is the next (or previous)
representable value nearest to 1.0; the y == 1.0 check will fail, but the
division may get big; so I did a small program and verified that the result
of the division is about 3.24519e+32 when going towards negative and
8.11296e+31 when going towards positive, so everything is OK (I didn't dig
in the atan2 arguments though).

--
Who’s got the sweetest disposition?
One guess, that’s who?