Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 12:43:25 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Gonzalo Brito Gadeschi <gonzalo.gadeschi@...h-aachen.de>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [feature request] add mallinfo support

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 06:32:02PM +0100, Gonzalo Brito Gadeschi wrote:
> That's mostly about it: musl currently does not support mallinfo, described
> here:
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/mallinfo.3.html
>
> Note: I am not subscribed to the mailing list.

Omission of mallinfo is largely intentional. The API is fundamentally
broken (using type int which cannot represent sizes) and tracking the
information it provides imposes nontrivial costs on the malloc
implementation. It was discussed in the past that a stub/dummy could
be provided, but prevailing opinion seemed to be that it would be
better not to:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2013/11/09/2

It's probably better that programs trying to use mallinfo fail to
build so that you can identify and fix the problem rather than hiding
it.