Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 22:32:35 -0600
From: William Pitcock <nenolod@...eferenced.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: iconv output formats other than UTF-8

Hello,

A common complaint is that applications on Alpine cannot output in
encodings other than UTF-8.

This causes problems with pre-existing IRC networks and other legacy
services where a different text encoding is either preferred or
required.

As such, this makes the iconv in musl deficient for these use cases.

A solution could be to link things like IRC clients against GNU
libiconv instead, which we have done in the past on uClibc, but that
could lead to other problems when a user observes inconsistent
behavior with regards to iconv (one app works, the next app does not).

The better solution would be to somehow enable musl to output in
encodings other than UTF-8.

We are open to contributing patches to enable this, but would like
suggestions on how to proceed.

If it is unwanted work, please let us know, and we will just ship GNU
libiconv instead.

William