Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 11:26:04 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: "musl" gzip-compressed tarballs are decompressed if using
 newest wegt release

On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 11:19:30AM +0100, Jens Schleusener wrote:
> Hi,
>
> not a real "musl" software problem but just an observation of a
> changed behaviour of "musl" tarball downloads with the newest "wegt"
> release (1.19.2): The tarballs are saved now decompressed but
> contains the original extension (.tar.gz). Although if the extension
> would be .tar it seems at least to me an undesired behaviour.
>
> Reason seems a new "wget" feature, here some extracted lines taken
> from the ChangeLog
>
>  2017-08-04
>  Add gzip Content-Encoding decompression
>  (gethttp): Decompress files with gzip Content-Encoding
>
> in combination with the HTTP header the www.musl-libc.org server delivers:

> Solutions/workarounds may be on the server side delivering of a HTTP
> header like

>  (or Content-Type: application/octet-stream)
>
> or on the client side the use of the new "wget" option
>
>  --compression=none

IMO this is both a bug in the server and a major regression in wget,
since lots of servers have this bug. I'll look at fixing it on my side
but I think it should be reported to wget and reverted since this is
going to break a *huge* number of build scripts that download tarballs
from affected servers.