Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:09:00 -0500
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Missing definitions for UTMP(x)

On 28/08/17 16:57, Matias Fonzo wrote:
> sessreg.h:110:21: error: '_PATH_UTMPX' undeclared (first use in
> this function) # define UTMPX_FILE _PATH_UTMPX ^ sessreg.c:308:16:
> note: in expansion of macro 'UTMPX_FILE' utmpx_file = UTMPX_FILE;
> ^~~~~~~~~~

> # define UTMPX_FILE     _PATH_UTMPX

> Please, include it.

If you'll notice, this would cause preprocessor recursion.

The musl libc does not actually support utmpx or wtmpx.  For better
support you need to add another library such as libutx:

https://code.foxkit.us/adelie/libutx

This library is not yet fully functional, as it does not yet provide
wtmp(x).  It does however fully implement utmp(x).  It may give clues
as to what you'll need to do to make this functional on musl libc.

What we do in Adélie is actually put these two files in the musl
codebase itself as a patch, so that all programs can have it
available.  An eventual goal is to make it a separate library, and
have programs that can use utmpx features attempt to dlopen the
library.  If the library exists on the system, they use it; if the
library does not exist on the system, the user has chosen to disable
it and that part of the software is disabled.

Unfortunately that is going to require a massive effort and the
cooperation of many disparate upstreams.  I don't hold my breath for
such a time.  Until then, having it always available with a simple
solution for those who do not want it (symlink /var/run/utmp ->
/dev/null) is what we are using.

Best,
- --arw

- --