Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:24:57 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: stack clash in musl?

* Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net> [2017-07-12 20:03:09 +0200]:
> * Tycho Andersen <tycho@...ker.com> [2017-07-12 08:52:02 -0600]:
> > It looks like there were some bugs that affected glibc in the recent
> > stack clash wave of issues:
> > http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-1000366
> >
> > I guess musl wouldn't be vulnerable to this since it ignores
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH for setuid binaries. I'm curious if anyone else has
> > thought about if there are ways to exploit musl using a stack clash?
>

> to jump across a guard page you need >pagesize sp adjustment
> without intermediate memory access, in musl very few functions
> use >4k stack, this can be easily verified.
>
> e.g. on aarch64 the only instructions that allow sp to be
> adjusted by more than 4k are add, sub, mov (+bitwise operations,
> but those are not used on sp other than for alignment)
>
> so after a quick grep of aarch64 libc.so disasm here is the list
> of functions you should look out for:

stack adjustments in more detail (aarch64 libc.so):

> BF_crypt.part.0
sp -= 4336

> __dls2
early startup
sp -= 8 * symbolic relocs in libc (= 39 now) < 400

> __dls3
early startup
CRTJMP sets initial sp

> __execvpe
sp -= x
x <= PATH_MAX + NAME_MAX + 1 = 4352

> __netlink_enumerate
sp -= 8256
(called from if_nameindex, getifaddrs)

> _longjmp
restores sp to a previous value.

> dcngettext
sp -= x
x = dirlen+1 + loclen+modlen+1 + catlen+1 + domlen+3 + 1 < 4392 (i think)
(could be truncated to PATH_MAX before stack allocation)

> decfloat
sp -= 8368
(float scanf/strtod)

> execl
> execle
> execlp
depends on argument list length in source code,
not exploitable (there won't be any call to these
functions with >100 args in a setuid binary)

> fmt_fp
sp -= 7616
(float printf)

> getcwd
sp -= 4112

> load_library
sp -= x
x <= PATH_MAX + ldso_path_len < 4150
(only at first library load at early startup or dlopen)

> match_in_dir
sp -= x
x <= PATH_MAX+1 = 4096
(called from glob)

> nftw
sp -= 4160

> realpath
sp -= 4432

> tempnam
sp -= 4288

early start up code, longjmp and execl are unlikely to be exploitable
which leaves (in size order):

strtod,float *scanf: 8368 (unlikely in setuid)
if_nameindex,getifaddrs: 8256 (rare network apis)
float *printf: 7616 (unlikely in setuid)
realpath: 4432
dcngettext: <=4392
execvp,execlp,posix_spawnp: <=4352
crypt: 4336