Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:57:09 +0200
From: u-uy74@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: detect timezone changes by monitoring /etc/localtime
 (like glibc)

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 10:36:29PM -0500, A. Wilcox wrote:
> Fun and true facts: this has actually revealed itself as a horrible
> behaviour in Pidgin.  When I moved from the east coast to the central
> US, I woke up my laptop and changed the TZ.  It was running a glibc
> Linux at that point.  Pidgin wouldn't make noise or show notifications
> until an hour went by; some internal counter had a local time_t and it
> thought it was receiving old notifications (since the timezone shifted
> backwards an hour).

To me it looks like an application [design] bug. Time itself does
not shift because you are moving to a different angle from the sun,
so deciding "new" vs "old" should not be concerned with timezones or
"local time" at all.

It is the _presentation to humans_ which may need to show
the "local time" but there is no reason to use it for timekeeping.
Moreover, there are good reasons to avoid such use.

> So this isn't a theoretical problem.  It's a very real one.  (And one
> I have yet to experience running musl Linux on my laptop now.)

Yes, a real problem, but outside libc, imho.

Cheers,
Rune