Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 21:07:05 +0200
From: u-uy74@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about setting argv[0] when manually using
 dynamic linker

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:24:28PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> a completely reasonable and recommended way for deploying dynamic
> linked apps in a self-contained way that doesn't depend on musl libc
> on the host. Unfortunately there's no way to set argv[0] like you want

We do deploy dynamic linked apps without any dependencies on the libraries
on the host. It works just fine with musl-as-it-is, including the
questionably designed applications like busybox and gcc who
analyze argv[0].

> at this time. Perhaps adding an option like --argv0=foo would be
> appropriate.

What would be the justification for adding the supporting code (to every
instance of the dynamic loader)?

It looks like --argv0=foo is meant to overcome a specific limitation in
bourne shell, in a specific context where the task can be solved easily
and generally better without involving the bourne shell in the first hand.

I would like to see an example of a situation where a wrapper in C (or
any language allowing setting of argv[0]) is less appropriate?

If one really has a reason to express the wrapper in sh, a one-liner in
C and an extra exec from the shell (much cheaper than starting the
shell itself was) is sufficient to make it work.

Rune