Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:58:02 +0000
From: <dominic.chambers@...ncore.com>
To: <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Queries with less than `ndots` dots never lead to
 resolution using the global namespace if the `search` domains don't work

HI Rich,

Thanks for the prompt response here. Apologies for any confusion I may have created, but I think the server is responding with an overall `NXDOMAIN` response. This is what I get from running `dig google.com.default.svc.cluster.local`:

```
; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu <<>> google.com.default.svc.cluster.local
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com.default.svc.cluster.local. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
cluster.local.          60      IN      SOA     ns.dns.cluster.local. hostmaster
.cluster.local. 1489579200 28800 7200 604800 60

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 10.43.0.10#53(10.43.0.10)
;; WHEN: Wed Mar 15 12:49:14 UTC 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 147
```

Although there's less information with nslookup, the response from running `nslookup google.com.default.svc.cluster.local` seems even more definitive:

```
Server:         10.43.0.10
Address:        10.43.0.10#53

** server can't find google.com.default.svc.cluster.local: NXDOMAIN
```

Maybe I was just reading too much into the output from dig regarding exactly what was being returned from the server. Any further thoughts?

Thanks again, Dominic.