Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 21:44:03 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Static PIE with musl and clang

On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 07:47:31PM -0600, Paul Sturm wrote:
> Has anyone managed to build static PIE with musl and clang,
> preferably linking with lld?
>
> I see that this has been done using GCC and rcrt1.o, but I cannot
> find a combination of command line parameters that will successfully
> link and execute with clang.
>
> I am using clang 4.0.0RC2 and musl 1.1.16. I have also tried to use
> binutils ld instead of llvm lld to no avail.

I doubt lld can do it yet; you need some equivalent of the
--no-dynamic-linker option I added to BFD ld. It should be possible
with clang using binutils/BFD ld. You might also be able to hack it by
using -shared -Bsymbolic and explicitly linking rcrt1.o on the link
command line (essentially doing the same thing you'd do to make an
executable shared library) but there are corner-case things that break
when you try to do it this way. The right approach would be adding
--no-dynamic-linker to lld and teaching clang to pass it when linking
with -static -pie.