Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 16:27:39 +0100
From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan@....net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Crash in 'system' while executing '__clone'

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 11:44:12AM +0000, Tobias Koch wrote:
>     16syscall
>     (gdb)
>     17test %eax,%eax
>     (gdb) backup    git       pkgs      repo      spool     temp.txt  test      test.c    test.txt

OK, so the clone call was successful. Good. In system() we clone with
vfork() semantics, so the caller is blocked until the child exec()s.

BTW, what's with the line numbers? Why are they doubled (up in the
single digits)?

>     18jnz 1f
>     (gdb)
>     __clone () at src/thread/x86_64/clone.s:27
>     271:271ret(gdb)
>     0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
>
> Any ideas what might be wrong or what I can do to investigate further?
>
> Tobias

So the last few steps mean that the ret instruction loaded a zero into
RIP. Which means that [rsp] has been replaced with a zero byte.

I'd probably debug this again, setting a watchpoint on the value RSP is
pointing to. Then set the debugger to follow a created child (set
follow-fork-mode child) and run this snippet again. As I said, vfork()
semantics are in use, i.e. the child process might clobber the return
address of its parent.

Ciao,
Markus