Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 15:25:24 +0000
From: Jan Vorlicek <janvorli@...rosoft.com>
To: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Using macro CMSG_NXTHDR generates warnings with CLANG

The simple repro was in my email - just cut and paste the 6 lines of code into a file named nettest.cpp and then run clang++ -Weverything ./nettest.cpp -c -o nettest.o.
I have hit this issue on Alpine Linux 3.4.3 in a docker container.

The same code compiles without any warnings with the same clang compiler e.g. on Ubuntu 14.04 with glibc. I have noticed a difference though. On Alpine, the CMSG_NXTHDR is a macro defined in /usr/include/sys/socket.h. On Ubuntu, it is defined in /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/socket.h. The definition is also different:
Alpine:
#define CMSG_NXTHDR(mhdr, cmsg) ((cmsg)->cmsg_len < sizeof (struct cmsghdr) || \
        __CMSG_LEN(cmsg) + sizeof(struct cmsghdr) >= __MHDR_END(mhdr) - (unsigned char *)(cmsg) \
        ? 0 : (struct cmsghdr *)__CMSG_NEXT(cmsg))

Ubuntu:
#define CMSG_NXTHDR(mhdr, cmsg) __cmsg_nxthdr (mhdr, cmsg)
Where the __cmsg_nxthdr is defined as an inline function in the same header file as the CMSG_NXTHDR.

Thanks,

Jan