Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 15:01:31 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@....de>
Cc: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>, Jeff King <peff@...f.net>,
	git@...r.kernel.org, musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Regression: git no longer works with musl libc's
 regex impl

* Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@....de> [2016-10-05 13:17:49 +0200]:
> I had a brief look at the source code (you use backtracking... hopefully
> nobody uses musl to parse regular expressions from untrusted, or
> inexperienced, sources [*1*]), and it seems that the regex code might

does git use BRE?

a conforming BRE implementation has to use back tracking
if the pattern has back references.

usually ERE implementations may also use back tracking
since they support back references as an extension.

musl does not support this extension (and many others) so
it never uses back tracking for ERE matches, note however
that match complexity and memory usage of a conforming
ERE implementation is still exponential in pattern
length because of repetition counts.