Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 09:37:11 -0700
From: <writeonce@...ipix.org>
To: "Johannes Schindelin" <Johannes.Schindelin@....de>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, git@...r.kernel.org, "Jeff King" <peff@...f.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Regression: git no longer works with musl libc's regex impl

Hi Johannes,

That is of course the official language, and generally speaking a good
rule of thumb. However... there is enough information to suggest that
when it comes to mapping of file-backed sections, the NT kernel
developers will choose to keep things the way they are. In brief, here's
why:

Given a "gray zone" that spans from EOF to end-of-page, there are in
essence three possible behaviors:

[1] bytes in the gray zone are accessible and are all zero's. This is
the current behavior.
[2] bytes in the gray zone are not accessible; trying to read past EOF
would result in a segfault.
[3] bytes in the gray zone are accessible but might contain random data
or junk.

Assessment:

[1] backward-compatible, POSIX-compliant, single code path for both
WIN32 and LXW.
[2] requires changing memory access granularity from 4096 bytes to a
single byte, and is therefore extremely costly.
[3] introduces a whole new class of security vulnerabilities, and will
thus be a lot of fun to watch:-)

All in all taken, then, I'd argue that relying on the current behavior
is very reasonable. If you, too, find the above assessment valid, and
since you mentioned that you were a Microsoft employee, it would be
great if you could make a good-faith effort to have the current behavior
added to the Driver Documentation and thus guaranteed.

PS. this isn't to say that the regex extension should or should not be
used, only that a decision on the matter should not be based on the
undocumentedness of current behavior.

midipix