Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 22:32:23 +0200
From: Karl Böhlmark <karl.bohlmark@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: abort() fails to terminate PID 1 process

Hi!

After running alpine-linux based docker containers for a while we noticed
some problematic behaviour when one of our services had a memory leak
causing the process to abort.

Instead of getting abnormal process termination we were seeing the process
hanging at 100% cpu.

A minimal reproduction of this issue is to run

#include <stdlib.h>
int main ()
{
abort();
}

with "unshare --fork --pid" so that it runs as PID 1 in it's own PID
namespace.

Would it be reasonable to add a fallback strategy in abort() for
terminating processes when the signals don't have any effect?

Karl

Content of type "text/html" skipped