Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 22:05:28 +0900
From: Masanori Ogino <masanori.ogino@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: gettext and locale names

Hello,

When I played with gettext API, I found that musl searches .mo files
with a directory named as current *full* locale names, e.g.
en_US.UTF-8. However, we often use shortened names too. Here is a list
of those names from those of my machine in /usr/share/locale: de,
en_GB, ru_UA.koi8u, sr@...in, etc.

Due to this mismatch, we can't get translations with musl's gettext
API for applications in wild. Thus, I'm considering to implement
locale searching with shortening. Does it make sense?

--
Masanori Ogino