Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 20:34:32 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: pthread set name on MIPs

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 05:22:51PM -0700, Ward Willats wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We'd like to set the thread name on pthreads on our MIPS/Linux/MUSL
> device.
>
> pthread_setname_no() does not seem to be supported, and prctl(
> PR_SET_NAME ) works, but the thread names don't show up in
> GDB....(well, gdbserver)
>
> Is there a trick? Or is this unsupported?

This shouldn't be mips-specific. As you said we don't have
pthread_setname_np right now (although I don't think there's any major
objection to adding it) but the prctl should be equivalent. If gdb
doesn't show that, I'm guessing it gets the name it shows from
somewhere else, which might or might not be easy to make work. If it
depends on libthread_db you're out of luck unless we find a nice way
to get gdb to find the names without that.

Anyone else have ideas?