Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 12:57:47 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: Masanori Ogino <masanori.ogino@...il.com>
Cc: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>, musl@...ts.openwall.com,
	bug-gnu-gettext@....org
Subject: Re: Re: [bug-gettext] AM_GNU_GETTEXT without referring
 internal symbols?

* Masanori Ogino <masanori.ogino@...il.com> [2016-04-07 16:12:39 +0900]:
> > I'm not sure what the %Id thing you're referring to is; can you point
> > me to a description of it?
>
> %Id is essentially an extension of printf(3) in glibc 2.2 and later.
> It can be implemented by the same way as how sysdep is implemented; it
> just depends on the current locale, not the ABI.
>
> Search http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/sprintf.3.html by "glibc
> 2.2 adds" for details.

i think it is not acceptable that glibc introduces
extensions that can collide with future versions of
the c and posix standards.

but it is even worse if a translation file format
depends on such extensions which makes it hard to
fix the problem once the collision happens
(like it happened with scanf %a).

there are other problems with this flag, so gettext
manual should recommend some other solution.