Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 18:36:08 -0500
From: Max Ruttenberg <mruttenberg@...technology.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: atomic primitives documentation

> A few functions have nothing to do with "atomics" and are just in this
> file for no good reason except that they're arch-specific and usually
> written in asm: a_ctz_l/_64 (count trailing zeros) and a_crash
> (generate SIGSEGV or SIGILL termination as immediately as possible).

Yeah, I noticed that one didn't touch memory so I couldn't see what was
atomic about it.

> If you want to do this the easy way, just implement a_cas and do
> everything else in terms of a_cas or with generic C code; see some of
> the existing archs for examples.

The architecture I'm porting to has good variety of atomic operations, most
of these looked like they can be implemented with just one instruction.

Thank you! This email was very helpful and clearly took some time to write,
so I appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers,
Max

Content of type "text/html" skipped