Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 22:25:13 +0700
From: Рысь <lynx@...xlynx.tk>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl & proprietary programs

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 13:27:06 +0200
Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:23:08 -0200
> Alba Pompeo <albapompeo@...il.com> wrote:
>
> > As a user, my main issue with musl by far is the lack of ability to
> > run proprietary programs. Almost all software I need for work is
> > proprietary and I currently have to dual boot other operating system
> > just to run it, because there is no musl binary.
> >
> > Is there any strategy to get musl to be more useful on proprietary
> > environments? Either partnerships with some companies to spread musl
> > or a compatibility mode that you can use when needed? This would be
> > of great help for those that unfortunately aren't on the ideal world
> > where every tool has the source available for you to compile.
>
> Musl works with surprisingly many proprietary programs. Could you
> explain more the problem you have?
>
> Though, you you do have to have symlinks for the glibc style library
> names for things to work.
>
> In Alpine Linux these comes with "apk add libc6-compat".
>
> /Timo

I can also suggest building chroots from existing glibc distributions.
For example, one can get full Slackware DVD, unpack it fully or
partially and use the result root as chroot tree and put a program
inside it. Though there is little help needed to define proper symlinks
to unpacked shared objects. This can be achieved with simple script
employing readelf or running glibc's ldconfig inside chroot.

This method is IMO more cleaner when you want to run glibc programs
completely unmodified. Missing virtual filesystems and locations with
user data can be bind-mounted.

--
http://lynxlynx.tk/
Power electronics made simple