Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:24:45 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@...cle.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: nfs-utils broken with musl: "select: Bad file
 descriptor"

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 06:05:01PM -0700, Chuck Lever wrote:
> >> i think this call goes wrong:
> >>

> > http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=steved/nfs-utils.git;a=blob;f=utils/statd/rmtcall.c;hb=HEAD#l56
> >

> >> it loops for 100 iterations and if all ports are used
> >> according to getservbyport then it FD_SET(sockfd, &SVC_FDSET);
> >> with some random high sockfd (eg. 105) that is closed.
> >>
> >> ...so should getservbyport fail there?
> >>
> >> (according to strace it tries ports 883 to 982)
> >
> > I think the application's expectation is that it fail rather than
> > returning a decimal-string-only service entity. However it looks like
> > the code is written to handle the case where all 100 iterations fail
> > to get an anonymous port. The problem seems to be that, when the loop
> > stops due to hitting the iteration count rather than exiting with
> > break, i has already been incremented past the last tmp_socket slot,
> > so the close loop closes the fd that they actually want to use, later
> > causing EBADF. This is purely an application bug, but it happens not
> > to get noticed if getservbyport fails anywhere along the way, which
> > they expect to happen in the usual case.
>
> statd_get_socket() is hunting for a privileged source port that
> is not just unused at the moment, but that is also not going to be
> used by some other well-known service. This is a long-lived socket
> that statd uses to communicate with the kernel. It must use a
> privileged port.
>
> if getservbyport(3) is returning something for every port that
> is tried, then statd_get_socket() will fail to find a usable
> port.
>
> If it's returning 105, that suggests it has run out of retries.
> It should return -1 in this case. That is a logic bug.
>
> But is it true that every port returned by bindresvport(3) is
> actually defined in /etc/services? Surely there is one open
> port that can be used. What port does bindresvport(3) start
> with?

The logic bug is the count-down loop that closes all the temp sockets.
In the case where the loop terminates via break, it leaves the last
one open and only closes the extras. But in the case where where the
loop terminates via the end condition in the for statement, the close
loop closes all the sockets including the one it intends to use.