Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 12:35:21 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ppc soft-float regression

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 10:03:21AM +0200, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as mentioned the days on IRC.
> 1.1.9 produces a lot of segfaults on Qemu-PPC with Soft-Float.
> 1.1.8 was fine.

Soft-float has never been a supported configuration for PowerPC, as
you can see from the fact that there's no separate dynamic linker name
for it. I'm surprised it ever seemed to work -- surely setjmp/longjmp
would be broken since they save/restore FPU registers. I don't think
it would be hard to add though, and I'd welcome patches for it. What's
needed is basically:

- detection in configure, setting $SUBARCH there
- dynamic linker name variants in arch/powerpc/reloc.h
- separate subarch dir for soft-float in src/setjmp

If you add soft-float it would probably make sense to add
little-endian variant at the same time, if that's useful to anyone,
since once you do the subarch work there's hardly any more work to
make an endian variant too.