Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 22:17:58 +0800
From: 罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo)  <luoyonggang@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: There is no tests for musl,

> On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 10:02:53PM +0800, 罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo)  wrote:
>> Thanks for the detail explain, I know all the shortcut of 16bit
>> wchar_t, considerate that 4bit wchar_t is rarely used in unix world,
>> but 16bit wchar_t is frequently in
>> Windows/Qt/Java/Javascript, so I think it's better not change the
>> 16bit wchar_t to 32 bit, and that's would confusing those people
>> already use 16bit wchar_t on Windows platform, and this would affect
>> Unix- world, by default, on win32, wchar_t is 16 bit, this is a de
>> facto.
>
> That's a choice you can make in the system you're developing, but you
> should be aware that it makes it impossible to support full Unicode
> with the standard APIs and thus requires apps to either limit
> themselves to supporting only the BMP or using nonstandard APIs.
>
>> >From this point of view,  getting wchar_t to be 32bit on win32 is
>> useless and cause more problems.
>> The main point to port musl on win32 is add posix support and utf8
>> support on win32.
>> The wchar_t is useless for those people need cross-platform text
>> processing, and should using char32_t instead. That's a design
>> principle.
>
> Again, char32_t can't support full Unicode if wchar_t is only 16-bit.
> It's stuck supporting just the BMP and the upper 16 bits are always
> zeros. Any attempt to make char32_t support the full range would
> produce inconsistent and nonconforming results. :(
I can predict the shortcoming of this, and there is a lot of ways to
resolve this, anyway,
for win32, preserve the original wchar_t semantics is the best
solution, I think there is no one would use
wchar_t for cross text processing, cause, on some system, wchar_t is
just 8bit  width!
for some os platform:(

refere to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_character#Programming_specifics
We should not use wchar_t for cross-platform text processing.

Anyway, deal with ANSI things on win32 is the maddest things on the
world, cause wchar_t at lease is Unicode after all:)
either utf8,utf16 or utf32.

--
         此致
礼