Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:44:24 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Still not possible to send mail to domain libc.org

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:25:00PM +0200, Harald Becker wrote:
> Hi Rich !
>
> On 23.04.2015 22:52, Rich Felker wrote:
> >Indeed, that does sound odd. I've filed a ticket with my registrar and
> >for now I'm moving DNS hosting to my own nameserver but it may take 24
> >hours to update and propagate. Hopefully that fixes things.
>
> So let me retry the message tests tomorrow.
>
> >>I know this is not a prove, but it looks more like a general problem
> >>... most likely, the mail relay is expecting to have the MX lookup
> >>return an IP address, not a name.
> >
> >MX is never an IP address; that's not even valid and not possible to
> >represent in DNS. It's always a name, and it's required to be an A
> >record, not a CNAME. Check MX for any other domain and you'll find an
> >A record.
>
> I'm not a DNS expert, so I may not use the correct notation.

I can see. :-)

> Currently the lookup has got even more ugly:
>
> nslookup -q=mx libc.org
>
> returns: brightrain.aerifal.cx
>
> .... but when I try to do MX lookup for brightrain.aerifal.cx, I
> can't get any authoritative address, only for A records.

This is expected.

> Are you able to add also an MX entry for brightrain.aerifal.cx ?

Why would you need one? An MX for brightrain.aerifal.cx would tell
where to deliver mail sent to user@...ghtrain.aerifal.cx; it has
nothing to do with mail sent to user@...c.org.

> All the other domains I tried return an authoritative address for MX
> lookups too, not only for A record lookup.
>
> I searched a bit on the net, and may be this hits a qmail DNS lookup
> problem disused at different places. Looks like they are fighting
> which strategy is best for the lookups ... this is bad, but I can't
> do anything here.

qmail is seriously buggy which is why most people abandoned it more
than a decade ago...