Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 16:52:26 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Still not possible to send mail to domain libc.org

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 10:14:41PM +0200, Harald Becker wrote:
> Hi Rich !
>
> On 23.04.2015 21:59, Rich Felker wrote:
> >However I agree this is a serious quality of hosting issue with my
> >registrar's nameservers. They should not be timing out or dropping
> >packets like they are. I was able to reproduce the issue. So for now
> >I'm just going to move dns hosting for libc.org to my own nameserver.
>
> I'm unsure, if this is a random or quality of service problem. If so
> it should be possible to get at least some messages through to your
> mail address, but none of 10 successive tries to send messages to
> you, have been accepted.

Indeed, that does sound odd. I've filed a ticket with my registrar and
for now I'm moving DNS hosting to my own nameserver but it may take 24
hours to update and propagate. Hopefully that fixes things.

> I know this is not a prove, but it looks more like a general problem
> ... most likely, the mail relay is expecting to have the MX lookup
> return an IP address, not a name.

MX is never an IP address; that's not even valid and not possible to
represent in DNS. It's always a name, and it's required to be an A
record, not a CNAME. Check MX for any other domain and you'll find an
A record.