Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 15:54:18 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ppc64 ABI

* Justin Cormack <justin@...cialbusservice.com> [2015-04-19 12:44:15 +0100]:
> I am looking at doing a ppc64 port, and after some discussion on irc
> last night wondering which ABI to port to.
>
> ppc64 has two ABIs:
> v1: as documented here
> v2, usually known as powerpc64le, helpfully. It is not little endian
>
> Both have 16 byte long double oddness.

printf/scanf decimal conversion and libm are broken with ibm128

if the toolchain could be configured to use ieee128 then that works
(i see -mabi=ieeelongdouble compiler option in gcc, it seems 32bit
powerpc sysv abi used to require ieee128 long double, but that was
not implemented for aix and darwin so i'm not sure who uses it)

64bit long double works too and that's what musl uses on 32bit powerpc

(i dont know how much code breaks if we change long double:
i think on typical desktop/server it does not matter, but if you
want to run some ppc optimized fortran code then it might..)