Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 16:27:51 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: libintl: stubs or working functions?

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:20:52AM +0100, u-wsnj@...ey.se wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 01:54:43PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > > What I am after is seeing "EXXXXX" as a part of the message with any LANG,
> > > including English:
> > >
> > > LANG=en:  "No such file or directory (ENOENT)"
> > > LANG=xx:  "&((/&=(/%&/(&%/(/)(/&/ ENOENT"
>
> > The issues I'm somewhat concerned with are:
> >
> > - Does this interfere with proper flow of RTL text? In absence of bidi
> >   nesting chars, I would think the answer might be yes.
>
> Regrettably I think it would. Then, I'd be fine with TNEONE :)

TNEONE is not what would happen. Rather, if you had a RTL sequence
containing an error message, the parts before and after the latin E*
text could get their positions swapped, I think. This could be solved
by using LTR embedding chars around the E* code, but I'm doubtful that
this would be well-supported on terminals. Note that I'm not an expert
on bidi text so I might have this wrong, but I know enough to know
it's a concern that it might get messed up.

> > - Does it result in ugly mix of unmatching fonts in UI, possibly even
> >   alterring line spacing?
>
> Sometimes quite certainly, but I see this as an implementation issue
> of the rendering systems, the inability to mix strings of different
> "kinds of glyphs" is artificial.

Tell me when you finish a set of fonts with uniform style and spacing
for all the world's scripts. :-)