Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:04:59 +0100
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: libintl: stubs or working functions?

* ???????? <lynx@...server.ru> [2015-03-16 11:18:46 +0700]:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 19:54:18 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
> >
> > To achieve this with a locale (which should not break anything), you
> > would just need to make a po file that maps the string "%m/%d/%y" to
> > "%d.%m.%Y" or similar, build this into a .mo file named "ru_RU" (with
> > no extension), and drop it into a directory in $MUSL_LOCPATH (which
> > you should set). Then LC_DATE=ru_RU would give your desired
> > formatting.
> >
> > This ru_RU locale file could also be extended with translations for
> > error messages, mappings for other date/time formats, etc.
> >
> > Rich
>
> Hm, I tried this now but without success :-(
>
> I searched for po file layout and I assume this is something like this:
>
> % cat ru_RU.po
>
> # strftime %x
> msgid "%m/%d/%y"
> msgstr "%d.%m.%Y"
>
> then, I do translate it into .mo file without extension:

i think you will have to provide translatation for
the c_time string in langinfo.c:

http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/src/locale/langinfo.c

i tried

  xgettext -a langinfo.c

but it failed to extract the \0 correctly, you need
to concatenate the stringliterals and preserve all the \0
(in theory the format can handle embedded \0, not sure
if all the gettext tools can deal with it)

so currently this is not very translator friendly..