Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 00:34:33 -0500
From: stephen Turner <stephen.n.turner@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: segfault in libc.so

> I agree. I think gdb, not strace, is the right tool here, but
> unfortunately the debug info produced by pcc seems to be wrong or
> misinterpreted by gdb, making it hard to do anything except
> single-stepping, disassembly, and inspecting registers..
>
> Rich

Thanks Rich, I will look into that tool soon. For the time being I have
been troubleshooting the best way I know how by substituting one part at a
time.

What I know so far is
* the corruption appears to be limited to libc.so only and once a bad
libc.so is replaced with a glibc/gcc built libc.so everything is fine.
* Libc.a gets smaller when compilled by pcc while libc.so gets bigger.
Minute as it may be.
* Everything can be compiled and work dynamic by pcc except libc.so (what
makes it so differant from libc.a and everything else?)
* everything on/before pcc 20150101 returns a visible error when compiling
musl that I dont recall atm but will report tomorrow (back to 20141201
atleast)
* version 20150110 musl compiles (possibly corrupted havent checked) but
make4.0 breaks, again visibly in jobs.o
* version 20150120 everything compiled (but libc.so is corrupt) same for
the latest version.

Your on the pcc list too so im sure you have noticed no response yet. I
read that one person is away, I didnt pay attention to the name but im
guessing one of the main programmers.

So I have shown today that its not a musl issue, though I doubted it was
anyways, no one has reported a corruption issue. But I found these details
that will hopefully help identify the root issue eventually.

Thanks
Stephen

Content of type "text/html" skipped