Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 04:07:02 +0000
From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: What would make musl 1.2?

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 09:44:19PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 10:23:57AM +1100, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> > On 2015-02-14 00:02, Justin Cormack wrote:
> > > Oh I forgot to check the openwrt platform support list which is relevant
> > >
> > > https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/platforms
> > >
> > > The missing ones there are avr32, mips64, ppc64.
> > avr32 doesn't really seem to be widely used, It's probably worth
> > skipping that one. For OpenWrt, mips64 would probably be the most
> > important one among the missing platforms.
>
> You can always run 32bit code on a mips64 machine though. I can't
> imagine any OpenWRT targets having large enough resources that you'd
> actually want LP64. IMO mips64 is only interesting for desktop/server
> systems.

I went looking for MIPS64 systems recently and noticed a surprising
number of networking devices with large amounts (8GB or more) of RAM,
barely any flash/rom, and a Linux/Busybox based OS to process network
requests. MIPS64 seems to be mainly used in higher-end networking
systems (commercial routers/switches)--at least outside China, where
it's used for HPC, some desktops, and just about everything else.

HTH,
Isaac Dunham