Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:09:55 +0000
From: Justin Cormack <justin@...cialbusservice.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: What would make musl 1.2?

On 13 February 2015 at 07:46, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
> Aside from those big functionality areas though, I think archs/porting
> might be one of the most important things to think about. Supporting
> aarch64 is definitely important in the near future, and it could be a
> big publicity boost. So could getting coverage for the remaining archs
> uClibc has that musl doesn't, or at least the ones of modern interest.

Not sure that any of the uClibc archs that Musl doesnt yet support are
that interesting. Here is my take on the interesting ones.

aarch64 would be nice, I think there will be lots of use once they
ship in volume.
mips n32 - this seems to have mostly bypassed linux and android alas,
with only gentoo supporting it, despite the o32 ABI being horrible.
But Musl users should be encouraged to use n32 if building form
scratch...
mips n64 - there is a bit of cheap hardware around (Cavium stuff), but
fairly niche at present, although recent Android supports it and
Imagination seems to be promoting it more. Maybe they could be
persuaded to sponsor mips ports?
ppc64, ppc64le - there has been a spate of ppc64le distros eg Ubuntu,
which is the new elfv2 ppc ABI which is a bit cleaned up and little
endian to make porting easier for dumb people. You can get access to
free hardware from IBM. Maybe they could sponsor a port?
risc-v64 - I know one of the people at lowrisc.org who are going to
ship completely open fpga then silicon designs for risc-v. There are
full qemu and llvm/gcc toolchains already, and NetBSD support, would
be nice to have a Musl distro when it ships (fpga this year, silicon
next).

Justin