Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 13:32:37 +0700
From: Рысь <lynx@...server.ru>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl and android

В Thu, 15 Jan 2015 16:13:22 +0700
Рысь <lynx@...server.ru> пишет:

> Hello all!
>
> Are there any efforts or even a project which aims to port musl to
> android platform?
>
> For a year I slowly had built and running a couple of C tty only
> programs such as iptables, tcpdump and of course busybox and many
> others including my own with musl libc linked statically. They work
> perfectly (no much differences between an ARM phone and, for example,
> raspberry pi SoC) but a few items I missed:
>
> + Proper DNS resolving is not available
> + Translation of android special user names is not done
>
> As an advanced Linux user I know that android is not friendly enough
> to plain C stuff and it's libc is even not finished now so I aimed to
> port at least listed things to musl.
>
> Because I am not going beyond listed items, a patch can be developed
> just to support these inside musl-linked binaries.
>
> I am first here or there is already someone who done this before?

I made a patch to implement all three things for musl on android.

I do not post it here as attachment to this mail because it normally
should not be integrated with musl. The patch itself is here:
http://lynxlynx.tk/prg/patches/musl-1.1.4_android.patch, notes about
it: http://lynxlynx.tk/eng/musl_android/.

Patch is invasive enough I think and not optimized and I agree with Rich
that it must go as a special treat. I tried however move away all
translating code to src/android and headers to include/android.

Patch is still in it's alpha stage, and probably will be changed often.

Modifications made for musl 1.1.4.

If anyone interested to audit it - welcome!