Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 22:11:52 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: possible getopt stderr output changes

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 04:02:24PM -0800, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> I realize there's quality of implementation to be concerned about and
> similar issues, but I'm really wondering:
>
> How brain-damaged does code have to be to call getopt() from a thread,
> *after* starting a second thread and beginning writes to stderr?
> Is there any real-world use of this?

The way it's most likely to happen is when something that runs early
in main, or from a global ctor, starts threads, and they encounter
errors to print to stderr. Generally I think any 'library level' use
of stderr (or other standard streams) is bad design and so in my
opinion, this shouldn't happen, but plenty of people disagree.