Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:18:42 -0500
From: stephen Turner <stephen.n.turner@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: binutils odd compile behavior

I dont know if im being filtered, ignored, or overlooked for the recent
work on atomics but i found an oddity and if its a concern to anyone let me
know and i will get you the info you want.

I built a chroot environment using busybox, binutils 2.24 and gcc 4.2.1.
While in the chroot i could not compile binutils.

I keep a seperate code directory and build directory. When i build binutils
outside of the code directory it normally builds fine until i enter the
newly built musl chroot and then it starts to have errors with bfd. If
however i go into the binutils directory and compile (against
recommendations on lfs etc) it works fine.

I have the same issue when building musl only it works that way on debian
or my musl system. If i compile musl in a seperate build folder it errors
out but running the build from within the source folder works fine.

I cant say if this is an environmental issue on my musl system or a code
issue with musl or binutils but Its something i have definately had to work
through.

example:
I untar musl-1.1.5 to /home/musl
I create dir /home/build
running ../musl/configure from /home/build errors before completion.

thanks
stephen

Content of type "text/html" skipped