Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:23:35 +0800
From: Рысь <lynx@...server.ru>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Locales with legacy codepages

Hello,

I am running a server which needs to speak with connected clients on a legacy codepage (in particular, cp1251, widely used by Russian people on Windows), and it has built-in gettext translation which can be activated only by setting a proper locale.
However I don't know how musl supports locales with legacy codepages, if even. I don't fully understand how such translations work, so if there any ways to make legacy codepage locales work?

On previous glibc system I started such server with LC_ALL=ru_RU.CP1251 environment variable and appropriate locale was defined with localedef.

I have an option to convert all outgoing locale messages with iconv if musl does not have such support.