Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 20:32:37 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Time for a bug tracker?

I'm wondering if we've reached the point yet where musl really should
have a bug/issue tracker. I know I've started to have a hard time
keeping track of open requests for bug fixes, features, etc.

If we do add a bug tracker, here are some criteria I think would be
useful for selecting one:

1. Easily integrates with our current developers' and
   users'/bug-reporters' preferred tools/workflows:

- No need for heavy web browser, but convenient to use with one if you
  do want to.
- Ability to query and make changes to issues via command line tool
  and/or email if preferred.

2. Easy to link to other resources:

- Mailing list message that reported an issue, if it was first
  reported/discussed by email.
- Git commit that introduced bug, if it's a regression.
- Git commit in test repo that adds regression test, if any.
- Downstream bug reports (e.g. in musl-based distros).

3. Practical to host on light musl-based hosting:

- No dependency on Apache or other bloated httpds.
- No dependency on ultra-bloated application frameworks or language
  runtimes like Java, though Python, Perl, or PHP could possibly be
  tolerable.
- No dependency on bloated database backends.

One thing I'd like to consider, if/when we do setup a bug tracker, is
importing a sort of bug history, generated 90%-mechanically from musl
git history, so we can have searchable records of past bugs and
corresponding regression tests in it. One motivation for this is that
I'd like to have separate bug status for "fixed, pending regression
test" and "fixed, has regression test" so that we could track which
bugs are missing regression tests, and do that tracking for historical
bugs too.

Any recommendations? I have the most experience with bugzilla, and
like it well enough, but I don't know where it stands for all the
criteria above.