Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 09:04:14 +0200
From: Jens Gustedt <jens.gustedt@...ia.fr>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Multi-threaded performance progress

Am Montag, den 25.08.2014, 23:43 -0400 schrieb Rich Felker:
> This release cycle looks like it's going to be huge for multi-threaded
> performance issues. So far the cumulative improvement on my main
> development system, as measured by the cond_bench.c by Timo Teräs, is
> from ~250k signals in 2 seconds up to ~3.7M signals in 2 seconds.
> That's comparable to what glibc gets on similar hardware with a cond
> var implementation that's much less correct. The improvements are a
> result of adding private futex support, redesigning the cond var
> implementation, and improvements to the spin-before-futex-wait
> behavior.

Very impressive!

> We're near the end of my planned time frame for this release cycle,
> but I'm still interested in working with Jens to get C11 threads into
> this release if possible, so I'll probably extend it for a while
> still.

I would be very much in favor of getting C11 in one version or another
into the current release, as you said. In any case, it would be good
if we could claim support for C11 for that release. That would be
another item where musl could claim to be first, at least before
glibc. There is not much missing, I think. Come to mind:

 - one or two simple functions, such as the timespec_get that I posted
 - if we don't have C11 threads the feature test macro __STDC NO_THREAD__
 - perhaps some other feature test macros for unsupported features

Jens

--
:: INRIA Nancy Grand Est ::: AlGorille ::: ICube/ICPS :::
:: ::::::::::::::: office Strasbourg : +33 368854536   ::

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (199 bytes)