Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:24:08 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Locale bikeshed time

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:16:40PM -0400, writeonce@...ipix.org wrote:
> >>implementation of %E? could use weak aliases and standardized hooks,
> >>then applications or calendar-specific libraries could provide these
> >>hooks and still use the libc strftime, rather than a complex system
> >>of wrappers and conditionals.
> >That's now how weak symbols work -- they're not a way to add plug-in
> >code.
> >
> Thanks for the clarification.  This leaves a query to a local
> service the more likely solution since for at least the Hijri
> (Muslim) and Hebrew (Jewish) calendars, accurate conversion cannot
> be based on data or tables alone.

How so? All code is fundamentally data/tables. Is your point that the
current data is not sufficient to compute all future times (in which
case updated data would be needed but sufficient) or just that the
algorithms are moderately complex (in which case a the data would have
to represent a nontrivial computational language).

In any case this is probably quite low priority. I'm not aware of any
other libc supporting these features or any significant demand for
them. So it's a neat topic to discuss, but getting pretty far off
topic from the topic at hand (locale support in 1.1.4).