Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:41:18 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: More MIPS stat.h breakage...?

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 04:40:06AM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> I seem to remember some comment about trying to work on kernels that predate
> stat64().  __stat_fixup would be a logical way to handle that, should that
> still be intended.

The idea of __stat_fixup is that it would patch a broken struct layout
after a successful stat-family call, not make a new syscall. For a new
syscall it would have to be separate workaround code in each variant
(stat, lstat, fstat, fstatat) to do the appropriate workaround for
each. This is a completely different scope.

> The most precise information I can find is that stat64() dates to 2.4.18;
> I'm not sure about the accuracy of that.
>
> But I don't have a strong opinion; I just noticed a similarity to an idea
> that was mentioned some time back.
> Also, I'm not aware of any reasons 2.4.1x might be a major target
> for musl. ;-)

I don't think there's any viable way to support kernels that old even
partially without backporting some essential features.