Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:16:30 +0530
From: Weldon Goree <weldon@...gurwallah.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Status towards next release (1.1.4)

Just because I figure someone should propose the most brute possible
strategy: what about storing the .mo data in the library itself? Port
the built-ins to the format, and you have a single code path for locale
access, and it doesn't involve persistent storage. If I'm understanding
your idea right and you're talking about the equivalent of
SYS_LC_MESSAGES and parts of LC_TIME and LC_COLLATE, this isn't nearly
as bloated as it sounds at first (particularly if one is putting, say, 4
locales in a given build rather than 446).

Now, obviously maintainers wouldn't like the choice of either 1 bloated
binary or 446 non-bloated binaries (or God forbid the Cartesian product
of all the possible locale combinations), and this kind of violates the
basic idea of locale that you shouldn't need to recompile software to
get it to speak French, but I just wanted to throw that idea out there.

Weldon