Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 01:46:12 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aboriginal musl support

On Sat, Jul 05, 2014 at 11:18:29PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 11:25:46PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/aboriginal-landley.net/2014-July/001399.html
> >
> > Has anyone had a chance to look at this yet? It would be nice if
> > someone with experience with distros/building could help check for
> > common breakage/pitfalls. I know Aboriginal is using a much older
> > toolchain than most musl users, so that might also have some new
>
> Similar version (4.2.1) to bootstrap-linux (4.2.2?), also the oldest
> supported by musl-cross; I used GCC 3.4 and 4.2.1 with some patches
> for the latter from both musl-cross and Aboriginal.

OK good to know.

> > issues that others haven't encountered. I suspect there might still be
> > issues with libgcc.a symbol visibility that would result in broken
> > binaries when dynamic linking against musl; this should be easy to
> > check.
>
> See the threads of Jan 11/12.
> (Rob could not duplicate.)

Yes, that's why I suspect the bug may still be present: he was only
concerned with finding a test case showing it breaking something and
was not convinced merely by the presence of the visible symbols that
break the ABI.

This is part of why I think it may be beneficial to work around broken
libgcc.a on musl's side: the breakage is subtle when it happens and
it's hard to convince users that there really is a bug.