Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:15:26 -0400
From: bfdamkoehler <bfdamkoehler@...global.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: REG_STARTEND (regex)

On 06/11/2014 09:40 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> I think the issue is just that you don't have a complete POSIX TZ rule
> for EST5EDT written. With TZ=EST5EDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2 (corresponding
> to the current rules in effect for this timezone) I get the expected
> output. Without specifying the full rule like this, I don't think you
> can expect the right behavior since it changes every few years.
> However, I think musl is also wrong not to have some sort of
> meaningful default. I'll look into it more.
I get the correct results using your TZ environment variable.

Actually, when I first tested with musl I didn't have a TZ environment
variable and the time was off by 4 hours. Setting it seemed to fix the
issue at first.

My linux machine has the timezone was set by the redhat/centos
system-config-date to New York (I changed it to Detroit since then) and
the "system uses UTC is not checked". This is a binary file but it ends
in EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0.

Should musl be using /etc/localtime if TZ is not defined?