Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 16:30:46 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Missing tests

* Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> [2014-05-14 09:05:30 -0400]:
> Here are some things that don't seem to be tested that would be nice
> to get added to the test suite (http://nsz.repo.hu/git/?p=libc-test)
>
> - Interpretation of POSIX TZ strings
> - Daylight time transition tests with zoneinfo and POSIX zones
> - Lots of corner cases for strftime and strptime
> - Regression test for recent pthread_once race (hard to catch)
> - Sanity-checking ucontext_t layout via signal handlers
> - Alternate signal stacks
i have a (regression) test for sigaltstack

> - Basic sanity checks for most syscalls
this can be tricky

> It might make sense to make a new tree separate from functional for
> tests that don't really check the functionality of the interface but
> just whether it's present and "doing something". Some existing tests
> might be candidates for moving there too..?

the code organization is not optimal

we can add a directory for trivial tests

the difficult part is when the test needs special environment
(eg syscall sanity checks or getaddrinfo): users/groups,
root-priv, fs-access, /etc/ changes,...
we can collect them in separate dirs and run only
when in a completely isolated environment (eg qemu)

linux specific tests should be separate too

another todo item is to improve cross compilation
(running cross compiled tests does not really work
now because it is done from make)
(the dso tests are a bit broken too because they use
relative path so only work when started from a specific
dir, maybe such test should be started from an .sh script)