Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 13:49:03 +0000 (UTC)
From: Thorsten Glaser <tg@...ian.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Broken GCC versions: 4.8.2 and 4.9.0

Rich Felker <dalias <at> libc.org> writes:

> or Ubuntu) and a quick check shows that their gcc-4.8 package, despite
> calling itself 4.8.2, is actually sync'd with the upstream 4.8 svn
> branch... There's a giant patch
> gcc-4.8-4.8.2/debian/patches/svn-updates.diff in the debian diff for
> the package, which contains everything between 4.8.2 release and the
> svn head. This is where the bug can probably be found.

I think, not the head of trunk, but the tip of the 4.8 branch…

> In short, Debian/Ubuntu's "gcc-4.8" package is essentially gcc 4.9.0.

… which means, it’s not essentially 4.9.0, but essentially 4.8.3 instead.
This means that 4.8.3 will introduce this error in vanilla GCC, unless
it stems from a(nother) distro patch (local or 4.9-backport).

This is all AIUI from my work as Debian/m68k porter.

bye,
//mirabilos